When life gives you lemons....
.... Make lemon curd. Trust me!
I discovered this delicious treat by chance while trying to find out what to do with a bag full of lemons I received as a gift. While skimming through Pinterest, all lemon desserts except for the cakes, looked fancy and complicated. Then I stumbled across a recipe for lemon curd. Again, it sounded a bit too time consuming for Vanilla Mummy: separating eggs, heating Bain Marie....No thanks! So I searched for the easiest version I could find, adapted it a little bit and since then I made it 3-4 times and I'm very happy with the results and hope I perfected the recipe to my liking.
As for what to do with the lemon curd... The sky's the limit! Spread it on toast, on pancakes, on crumpets, on waffles. Add it to yoghurt (this is my favourite!) or ice cream. Make desserts with it like lemon meringues, puddings and tarts. Add it as a filling in cakes, eclairs and croissants. Just use your imagination! Because once you fall in love with lemon curd, you'll want to just eat it with a spoon!
- 100g butter (can be substituted with coconut oil)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (juice of 2-4 lemons)
- pinch of salt
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan on the stove on medium heat in this order: butter, honey, eggs, lemon juice and zest, salt
- Whisk ingredients together until combined.
- Continue to whisk on medium low heat until it thickens (about 8-10 minutes)
- Allow to cool and transfer to glass containers before refrigerating